I needed a couple forklifts for my Long-Bell Lumberyarddiorama. (Previous posts:
The Atlamatic forklift. Really a little small for a lumberyard, but I like the simple design, and it looks like it belongs in the 1940's.
The drawings, ready for printing
My printer, an Afinia, is really not capable of printing the detail needed for small items. This is the only one of the three forklifts where I printed the steering wheel and wheels and tires. See the clinic at this link for several small items:
The forks and uprights are made from styrene strips, and the shift handles are made of wire. I want to add some white decals for the Atlamatic name on the back of the unit, and the some black decals for the vents. I will include finished pictures in later posts of the diorama.
In this picture you can certainly see the layering in the body, and the rough edges. It is probably not what one would want to use as a foreground piece, but given that the body is less than an inch long, it is not that noticeable at normal viewing distance.
The 1946 Clark Yardlift 40. This is more the the size needed for a small lumberyard.
The add I used as the basis for my drawings.
The basic drawing.
I used wheel and tires from the junk box.
I added grille decals from Archer, then highlighted them with silver.
Again, I built the forks and uprights from styrene strips. A couple of chunks of styrene for the pedals. The steering wheel was from the junk box.
1940's Clark Plane Loader.
I also had some pictures of a 1948 model to work from.
The drawing. I based some of the dimensions on the wheels and tires I had in the junk box.
I took the engine out, since it would have been a mess to try to pint it as one piece.
After looking at the engine, I decided the only way to print it would be to remove the exhaust stack, and split it in half.
This is what the body looked like when it came out of the printer. Lots of support material to remove.
I test fit the wheel, and for photographic purposes, I gave the forklift a wash of A&I so it would photograph better.
In this extreme close up, you can clearly see how rough the print job comes out on such small pieces. A heavy prime coat, and some sanding are needed to get a reasonable finish.
Test fitting the from rack in place. The seat came from the junk box.
I think I am going to add headlights to this.
The pictures of the 1948 model I have show it in yellow, and it had some customization done, including a tool box on the running board, and a roof added.
I forgot the exhaust stack, so I will add that and post additional pictures later. Also I need to show the back, as it is pretty rough.