Sunday, November 17, 2013

Machine Shop, Woodland Scenics

If you have ever looked at one of my posts, you know I like craftsman kits.  The Woodland Scenics metal kits are really fun to build.  I posted a few pictures of this kit some time back, but the pictures were not very good, so I took some new pictures.

This picture is from the Woodland Scenics web site, (woodlandscenics.com) and shows all the parts to the kit.  Most people call these white metal kits.  They are kind of a soft metal, but not near as soft some out there.  

I built a diorama, incorporating some cast plaster junk piles, a Woodland Scenics tree, and a truck kit, also from WS.

The details are all cast in place on the walls of the building, and must be hand painted.  It takes some time, and a steady hand, but I enjoy it.  You can see immediate progress.  

The cast in details really add value to the kits.  If you click on the pictures, you can see a much larger view, and really see the detail.

Out back, I added some junk piles.

They are all cast plaster, three are from molds I made using liquid latex from 

wait for it

Woodland Scenics.

This is a plaster casting I purchased from Morse Productions, http://morseproductionsproducts.blogspot.com, always good stuff.

This railroad car junk pile was a plaster casting that I made from a master made from junk from the box-o-freight car parts.  I painted the plaster flat black, then dry brushed them with rust colored craft paints from Michaels, http://www.michaels.com/.

Another junk pile.

The truck is the WS #D217 Service Truck, 1914 Diamond T.

The business is named in honor of William Larry Williamson, Professor of Machine Tool Technology at Pittsburg State when I went there, oh so long ago.

The kit comes with a full detail for the interior, plus all the details cast on the walls.  In the center it the forge and the anvil on a stand.  Along the back wall is a milling machine, and an oxy-acetylene welding set.

On the left wall is a work bench, note all the tools cast in top of it, and a drill press next to the bench.

On the right wall is a metal lathe and a bench grinder.

A few weeks ago, I pulled out four WS kits, and finished them all over two weekends.  Quick and fun, can't beat it!  More on those in the next week or so.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the pictures here! I would love to have a little machine shop like this. I would also like to have my own real machine shop.

    William | http://www.smithindustriesltd.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some really great pictures that you took. I have always wanted to make things like this myself. I cannot wait to see more from you too.
    Jak Manson | http://www.smithindustriesltd.com/en/machine_shop.html

    ReplyDelete