Thursday, January 31, 2013

Structure Exterior details for the Model Railroad

First the right side of the building.  This is a Roundhouse plastic structure to which I added several 3D printed details.  On this side of this row house of six apartments I added the electric meters and service, mail boxes, tension rod washers, and the coal loading door.  Everything is HO, 1/87, scale.
All of these items I designed and had printed at shapeways.com.   

Here is a close up of the coal loading door.  Probably a little small considering the size of the building, but I was just guessing.

This is a close up of the electric meters.  The roof drain below the meter is a piece of brass tube.  The stand off on the conduit was also a printed item, but I won't do them again, as they were too fragile.  I broke two out of the four, and scratch built the top one from a piece of brass tube and a piece of styrene.

Here is the weatherhead at the top of the conduit, where the overhead wire would connect to the service.  An extremely small piece, but it was cored, so the brass wire fit right in it.

At the opposite end from the electric service are the mail boxes.  Although it is pretty much impossible to see, they are all mounted on a "board" mounted to the wall.

I made several different structure tension rod washers, several of which can be seen below, and obviously on the structure above, and on several of the other pictures.


Next time I will cover the roof and the other side of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment